In any profession or trade, it’s easy to get lost in the weeds of day-to-day demands and lose track of the basic facts and objectives that are your foundations for success. With that in mind, here’s what insights professionals and marketers need to remember about consumer panels. The overarching insight here is that panel fraud and cutting corners to fill quotas will turn survey data into a corrosive force instead of an illuminating one when it comes to business decision-making. Let’s start with…
Fundamentals of the Supplier/Client Relationship
- Panel providers are in business to make money.
- They earn their money by delivering the requisite number of completes from the requisite demographics.
- Fighting fraud, delivering quality data, meeting deadlines and keeping clients fully informed is hard, exacting and costly work for the panel provider. There’s always an incentive to cut corners.
- Clients need to demand quality; they won’t get it if they’re willing to sacrifice quality to achieve initial cost savings.
- Sacrificing quality to save research costs is penny wise and pound foolish. What good is cheap data when it’s going to mislead decision-makers? They need the highest-quality research inputs to inform the smartest business moves.
- There’s a categorical difference in the quality, methodology and value propositions between in-app mobile survey technology that allows smartphone users to respond offline, and last-generation online research (which includes “mobile optimized” online surveys). Online research is easy prey to repeat, multi-panel respondents and survey bots that play havoc with data quality; in-app mobile is immune to repeats and lives in a bot-free space.
It’s easy to learn more about these important differences and better understand your full range of options for achieving data quality and research efficiency. Just take a few minutes to have a productive conversation about in-app mobile research by getting in touch at email@example.com.